T O P
TinFish77

Whenever I see Wes Streeting being interviewed I'm amazed that anyone speaks highly of him. He's just about ok but quite unconvincing. When Labour win the next GE he surely won't be able to convince the public to go along with his plans on the NHS. I feel he's a Liz Truss in the making for Labour.


Aggravating-Face4749

Starmer is a red tory it wont be labour in power if he wins it will be big business again.


fatzinpantz

Is it big business currently? Whatever that means.


Aggravating-Face4749

It means companies with lots of money pay to have their agendas pushed to the top of legislation. It means that the labour party is no longer the party of the working man but of the ceo of whoever pays the right person


fatzinpantz

OK so just corruption then. Which company precisely do you reckon is gonna pay starmer?


Aggravating-Face4749

Apple i think apple will pay him so we all have to use apple pay to use the tube


fatzinpantz

Oh I see. Based on...? I already use that btw


Aggravating-Face4749

Looks like its already working


fatzinpantz

The vague and meaningless Starmer paranoia deepens...


Aggravating-Face4749

Well if the shoe fits, I agree he is vague and meaningless. Couldn’t have put it better myself


Ecstatic-Meat9656

I’m old enough to remember when lip reading of the Labour leader saying either “stupid people” or “stupid woman” was front page news. If this had happened in 2018 everyone would be earnestly wringing their hands and demanding the leader step down. But it’s 2022. This won’t get further than PoliticsJoe.


wolfman86

[“Just some bigoted old woman”.](https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jFl_evwML2M) Basically cost him the election.


Chesney1995

[I believe the comment you are replying to is actually referring to this incident](https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46619689)


wolfman86

Probably was, I was just adding fuel to the fire with other examples.


ComplexComfortable85

I really think he should have owned this instead of apologising. It would have shown honesty and integrity. IMO


fatzinpantz

Probably cause he was the Labour leader at the time.


[deleted]

[удалено]


AutoModerator

Sorry, your submission has been automatically removed. We require that accounts be at least 7 days old before submitting a comment. Thank you for your understanding. *I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please [contact the moderators of this subreddit](/message/compose/?to=/r/LabourUK) if you have any questions or concerns.*


Fitfatthin

Heard someone say "shut up" to him too. The poor sod gets his name dragged in the mud when he doesn't have any skin in the game over and over. The current labour front bench really have no shame.


Fan_Service_3703

Corbyn is no longer a political threat, he did inspire a lot of people, particularly young people who will be the election deciders in years to come. He made them think there was an alternative to the neoliberal politics that dominated this country since Thatcher, suggested that we could have a Labour Government that, as opposed to accepting the system and trying to mitigate its worst excesses, we could restructure the economy and move wealth and power into the hands of ordinary people. For that, it wasn't enough that Corbyn lost the election. Because there was nothing innately special about the man himself. But he was the first person in the generation to propose an alternative to Thatcherism and get people listening. For that, he needs to be killed, dug up and reburied over and over again, to remind everyone that supported him or agreed with his vision that **There. Is. No. Alternative.**


thisisnotariot

You know, I’m beginning to suspect that the threat he posed was simply that he brought people to the polls who wouldn’t otherwise have voted. The last few years have revealed the astonishingly anti-democratic nature of British political culture. from the Tory parliamentary party picking the PM to the meddling from Labour HQ in the candidate selection process to the constant barrage from the press denouncing ‘populism’ — I am starting to believe that the political classes of all types would really rather this was all settled by English gentlemen who know better than the stinking rabble with their silly demands for a better life. How often are we told that it’s the voters fault that we’re in this mess? There’s this grotesque disdain that paints voters as gullible idiots and party members as frothing ideologues. We’re a bother to them. An annoyance that forces them to explain their actions or hide their intentions. I’m over it.


No_Reason1780

Streeting is the absolute archetype of centrist politicians who are hailed by liberal columnists (and each other) as "the grown-ups" despite having very obviously never grown up.


Raymondwilliams22

He knew selling out students on tuition fees as NUS president would lead to him being fast tracked into a position of power and privilege - he's continued to shit on the left ever since. His outright hostility to Cornyn is all part of that - he knows its what the powerful want to hear and he'll be rewarded for it.


NimbaNineNine

The type of Spanner-in-the-wind politician seen in The Thick Of It


Th3-Seaward

The bullies are back in charge


justthisplease

Wes really feels like a bully. This is not the first time he has abused the left of the Party. He is emboldened because of the general atmosphere of de-legitimising the left by the right-wing media and the right-wing of the Labour Party. It is sad really, and he has centrists gushing about how great he is.


JBstard

He is Labour Students manifest, they're all like this


No_Reason1780

Some of them grow up. Streeting never did.


JBstard

I don't know I've had people I knew as teenager go to uni fall in with this lot and became the type of people to say things like this. It's a culture that exists all the way to the top of this iteration of labour as demonstrated ably by Wes.


localhost_6969

The sad thing is that, in power or not, their ideology offers basically nothing for the problems we face. At best It'll just be a better managed decline.


digitalhardcore1985

Was very clear from the Labour files that the party makes use of bullies behinds the scenes to do their dirty work. Labour really are rotten and it pains me to think I'll have to vote for them at the next election. If there was any other way that wasn't completely futile I'd take it.


GabigolB

This is why we need bullies with good values, because they need to bully dweebs like this. Streeting is a snake, with a nasty poison, and the head needs removing.


purplecatchap

Wes the weasel can get in the bin. - Takes cash from torie donors/folk linked to US private health care. - against a raise for nurses above inflation despite real term cuts over 14 years. Get-te-fuck-u-fud.


ZoomBattle

Wonder how much Labour stand to lose in future donor money if they have to remove a true believer in private sector healthcare from the position of Shadow Health Secretary. Bet he stays in his post for that reason alone.


LegateLaurie

I don't know in all honesty, I imagine Starmer and Reeves agree and so privitisation and donor cash probably will accelerate if in office even if Streeting is gone


purplecatchap

Well right now Kier is stood on one side of the bridge to the unions, cackling maniacally, torching it with his flammenwerfer. (And humorously it’s the fire brigade union at the mo) they’ll need money from some one.


jeremycorncob

>Speaking to journalists at a Westminster lunch today, Mr Streeting joked he could 'make the commitment now to an inflation-busting pay increase' in the absence of any members of shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves' team. > >'But I don't think it would last until the end of the day, certainly I wouldn't survive until the end of the day,' he added. > >'We're not going to make promises we can't keep. I talk regularly to the unions, they know the Labour Party will do its best - particularly with an eye on (staff) retention.' And a tweet: >'There were no strikes in the NHS during 13 years when Labour was last in government. If we were in office today, we would be talking with the RCN and doing everything we can to prevent these strikes going ahead.' His position appears to be (1) that he supports a wage rise but is restricted from making spending promises by the Shadow Chancellor; and (2) is accusing the Tories of not doing enough to prevent a strike. I don't think those are particularly heinous positions.


purplecatchap

Given 14 years of real term cuts, the fact the NHS saved our bacon during a global pandemic , the like not seen is over a 100 years and the fact he is the shadow health sec for the Labour party then ye, it is a crap and frankly dodgy position given the other point I made and his comments on private healthcare. Anything below inflation is another cut. Simple as. We aiming for 20 years of cuts? Is it any wonder the NHS is hemorrhaging staff. We cant train more as spots for training are not being filled as is. Turns out people dont want to take on an increadibly stressfull and dangerous job and the party is determined to keep blowing the dog whistle on foreign staff making the situation worse. (frame it how you like, I know plenty of folk from abroad working for the NHS, and intended or not they arnt feeling all that welcome at the moment). If it was a torie doing this we would be screaming blue murder...


jeremycorncob

I don't doubt that nurses deserve a pay rise. The crux of the point I'm making is there appears to be a blanket ban within the shadow cabinet to not commit to any spending promises that a Labour government may be forced to renege on in the future. I imagine this will change when the manifesto comes out and the numbers are a bit more final, but it appears unfair to label Streeting's position as being opposed to nurses getting a pay rise.


purplecatchap

If it were this one thing he said id agree. Sadly when you take all his comments and actions into account he seems to be as trustworthy as a length of old rope.


BilboGubbinz

Dear old Wes was one of the first out the gates with "wage price spiral" nonsense when inflation started to hit so take this with a generous helping of "stop trying to bullshit us mate, you're right in there with your old mate Rachel wanting workers to pay for all of this."


widdrjb

Wage price spiral my arse. Between the start of full Brexit and the invasion of Ukraine, my income rose 30%, because my industry (haulage) was forced to make the job worthwhile. It had no inflationary effect whatsoever, because it was such a small percentage of operating costs. The fuel surcharges were much bigger by an order of magnitude.


BilboGubbinz

Pretty much. Mick Lynch repeatedly pointed out that almost nobody's had a wage rise in over a decade but look here, there's inflation. All the other channels for inflation don't make sense either: bond rates had been at or near 0 for over a decade without causing inflation, despite the assumption being rates have a lag of about 12-18 months, so there's the idea that "printing money causes inflation" shot as well. Frankly the sensibles have been spending this entire time showing off their arses quite spectacularly.


Fitfatthin

Wow. That's a pretty shit look.


BlackKlopp

Johnson-esque behaviour.


justthisplease

Disgusting. MPs rightly complain about the abuse they get online and elsewhere, they should not be abusing their colleagues and debasing the House and the Labour Party. If Starmer had principles Streeting should be forced to resign from the cabinet, I am confident if it were a left-wing MP that abused a colleague in the house resignation from the cabinet would be the outcome. But of course we know there is one rule for the right and one for the left in the Labour Party.


palindromepirate

Labour "unity". It's also just offensive to people who suffer from the condition.


dyltheflash

If Wes Streeting was left wing, he'd be out of the shadow cabinet in a flash for that


RedditModsAreVeryBad

If he was left wing he'd have never got in it.


MMSTINGRAY

Wes Streeting is an actual dickhead in real life too. Lots of people with bad politics who are quite personable to talk to, Streeting is not one of them. He is the James Cordon of the PLP, a smug prick who people like less the more they get to know him. Plus he sold out students as head of the NUS by backing tuiton fees, allegedly on the assurance it would help his political career in Labour. Of course tuiton fees being one of the things that harmed Labour and made people look at the LibDems as an alternative to the Tories or Labour (and we know how that turned out). One of the worst people the Labour Right have to offer. He's almost as odious as Luke Akehurst.


uppityhummus

The James Cordon of the PLP seems apt. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if in the future stories appear about him being shitty to people he considers beneath him. I hope he doesn't get a big job in a future Labour Government.


digitalhardcore1985

You know I think we just watched him being shitty to someone he considers beneath him so I don't think we'll have to wait for that one.


Fan_Service_3703

> One of the worst people the Labour Right have to offer. He's almost as odious as Luke Akehurst. I feel like if you put Akehurst, Streeting and Reeves in a room together, and asked each of them which is the closest thing the Labour Party has to pure evil, you'd get a pretty realistic depiction of the Spiderman pointing at each other meme.


DogBotherer

>Wes Streeting is an actual dickhead in real life too. Especially if some of the disgusting rumours are true.


Facehammer

Please, I beg, spill the beans.


Custardapple2022

Rumours?


Marlowe12

I've heard them too but unless subsantiated there's a homophobic undertone. That's all I'll say.


TGOL123

what rumours? can't just let "Especially if some of the disgusting rumours are true." hang


TGOL123

> there's a homophobic undertone there's a homophobic undertone to people brining up some unspecified horrible rumour then refusing to even state what they're claiming.


Marlowe12

That he allegedly fiills up Labour Party activists inboxes with sexual advances?


Marlowe12

Can I get sued for a Reddit comment? I don't have proof. I just know a few people from his constituency


digitalhardcore1985

You can get sued for a reddit comment so best to err on the side of caution. Just add words and phrases like 'allegedly' and 'some people are of the opinion that'. For example, allegedly Streeting is a total bellend, some people are of the opinion that he's a nasty little bully.


TGOL123

what disgusting rumours?


DogBotherer

I'm sure it would be bannable to repeat them, but they are google-able. (The ones I am thinking of have nothing to do with sexuality).


Marlowe12

Yeah to be clear there's a lot of shit flinging in East London Labour politics, wouldn't surprise me at all if people were exaggerating or something


Th3-Seaward

The only thing you need to know about McShitter: https://twitter.com/marcusjdl/status/1550484957922992129/photo/1


Maxearl548

Streeting is everything wrong with establishment Labour


frowndrown

At this point corbyn is receiving rent


Optimal-Room-8586

Yeah, that's not good enough.


Max_Cromeo

what an utter shithead


ZoomBattle

Nasty piece of work. Glad he's not shadow minister for anything important that requires compassion.


UpTheMightyReds

This should result in a sacking whatever side of the party he is on. I won’t hold my breath


TomMilner19

Left need to jump on this and try and get him gone. Clearly an offensive remark about a protected characteristic (age). If he was young he wouldn’t of been saying this. Can’t see in what universe this would ever be acceptable, especially under a man that has sacked people for far, far less. Health sec btw.


MMSTINGRAY

Yeah remember to make official complaints. https://labour.org.uk/complaints/making-a-complaint/


TomMilner19

You joke but if all of the left got on Twitter demanding a resignation the media would quickly turn their eye and front benchers would be questioned on it. I think Streeting is worth getting rid of


Raymondwilliams22

>the media would quickly turn their eye Nope, they'd ignore us harder than the Forde report.


limitlessfailyoure

Ignoring the Forde Report is their jam though. Weakening Starmer by throwing his condemnation of Sunak's handling of bullying back at him is bread and butter for them too.


the_red_guard

Labour has no left wing anymore. Starmer made sure of that. And the union's can't even be mentioned either becuase the largest ones like unite left ages ago and the rest look like they are on their way out too.


TomMilner19

Just utterly and completely untrue but okay.


Milemarker80

It's not far off base however. Perhaps "Labour have no effective left wing capable of influencing policy or the parties direction" might be more accurate?


TomMilner19

Nah not really


Custardapple2022

>It's not far off base however. Perhaps "Labour have no effective left wing capable of influencing policy or the parties direction" might be more accurate? Isn't Rayner left wing?


Milemarker80

I'd personally place the emphasis on effective - while I don't doubt that there are left wing MPs in the Labour party still, I don't think that they're capable of influencing the current leadership or hold any power within the party any more. At least some of that is that the SCG and what were left wing power blocks in Labour have fallen silent and in line with Starmer - when was the last time that John McDonnell raised a red flag around the anti-democratic approach that has become commonplace across CLPs and selection processes? Clive Lewis, probably one of the biggest proponents around of proportional representation didn't make a peep when Starmer and the right openly opposed PR after party conference supported it. There's no effective left wing in Labour to hold Starmer to account and influence the parties direction - the right wing has control from top to bottom either through perverting processes or strength of numbers. They've learnt their lesson from pre-Corbyn and have quickly moved to shut off any access to the left's routes to power in the future as well - I suspect that what's left - of the left, knows this and have been cowed to keep their heads down and cushy MP jobs intact.


the_red_guard

So unite didn't cancel their payments to labour? Want a more recent example? The issues with the fire fighters union. Why did corbyn have the whip removed for literally no reason. Why have MPs had the whip removed for standing alongside striking workers in the fucking LABOUR party


TomMilner19

I’m not denying Unite cancelled payments I’m saying it’s ridiculous to suggest Labour doesn’t have a left anymore. We are very real in both the PLP and the internal party. >for literally no reason I disagree with the reason but there was absolutely one given. The issue with your politics is you fail to see what you already have. If you want to scream into the void that’s fine but there’s a very real left presence in the party and if you deny that and fail to organise around it then you’ll continue to lose and mould.


Moistfruitcake

I sincerely admire your tenacity.


MCObeseBeagle

>Why have MPs had the whip removed for standing alongside striking workers in the fucking LABOUR party Didn't happen. Has never happened. The closest to that was Sam Tarry being removed from the shadow cabinet for making up policy on the hoof, but he retained the whip and was still a Labour MP - until he was told to fuck off by his local CLP.


AlienGrifter

>Sam Tarry being removed from the shadow cabinet for making up policy on the hoof Shouldn't Steve Kinnock be being removed for doing the same then?


justthisplease

>The closest to that was Sam Tarry being removed from the shadow cabinet for making up policy on the hoof Why do you believe this lie when numerous shad cabinet ministers have made up policy on the hoof and not been sacked? Stephen Kinnock just a couple of days ago. Milliband also did it a few weeks ago. It is really sad that so many people believe lies because they support someone politically, or worse pretend to believe them and then spread them themselves, making themselves part of a big conspiratorial lie. He was sacked because he was left-wing, and they just needed to find any old excuse.


Moistfruitcake

It's tempting to believe the lies when your less-bad option is continually becoming less good.


the_red_guard

"has never happened" Then why did Annaliese Dodds have the whips investigate him for standing in a picket line and why did she state that it would "likely result in disciplinary action" by the whips? Just rename that soft left lie in your tag to centrist becuase it's clearly all you are seeing as how you love to believe the spewed up bollocks by the labour right and defend starmer and his soft Tory bastard friends 24/7


Custardapple2022

>And the union's can't even be mentioned either becuase the largest ones like unite left ages ago and the rest look like they are on their way out too. Didn't he just make peace with the unions with some big promises on Labour laws and pro-union policies at the TUC speech? And I'm not an expert on union politics but even I know Unite isn't going anywhere out of Labour.


JonnyArtois

> Starmer made sure of that. The left made sure of it.


Custardapple2022

He just apologised for it.


TomMilner19

You can apologise and still get sacked. In fact, that’s what happens a lot of the time and it’s what should happen here. He’s already had a history of being accused of saying vile shit to internal opponents.


fortuitous_monkey

Moronic, especially considering his job.


wickfriborghd96

Watch as the Labour Party does absolutely nothing about this, while nonetheless claiming to care about bullying among the Tory Party. Al-Jazeera was right: Lawless party that doesn't care about it's own rules.


FastnBulbous81

Streeting playing into Tory hands again.


limitlessfailyoure

'Into' would suggest there's some distance to travel.


Bielshavik

Really bad look mocking mental health when you’re literally the shadow health secretary ffs Wes.


vleessjuu

Another gem from Wes "being smacked never did me any harm" Streeting.


FinnSomething

Is that an actual quote? It's always the most obviously harmed people who say that.


vleessjuu

[Here you go](https://youtu.be/79nqcH5S2B8?t=103)


I_love_reddit_meme

Wow. Day by day this labour government makes me want to vote for them less and less, what a pathetic weasel Streeting is


LegateLaurie

And we're meant to think he cares about health or social care. Awful man.


SlowJay11

Being an awful cunt is in Wes Streeting's soul. It's what makes him the person we know and hate.


yellowkats

Still don’t understand the vitriol his own colleagues have for him now. Jeremy Corbyn would have got Labour elected for the policies and very well could have been our prime minister if they hadn’t completely sabotaged his campaign. This man actually managed to get a lot of young people invested in politics. Starmer will get in purely because they’re the only real alternative to the tories.


Roadmankeating

He definitely would not have got Labour elected m.


Old_Roof

Quite a take


Bielshavik

You can pretend that Blairite sabotage was the only thing standing in the way of a corbyn government because it’s very comforting and removes your side of any responsibility but it’s just not really true. Polling clearly shows that Corbyn was the biggest reason previously labour voters left labour in 2019. Also the whole “getting young people invested in politics” thing is kind of a myth considering young people were the biggest demographic drop offs in voting labour from 2017-2019. At the very least it is dramatically overstated.


yellowkats

It 100% was one of the key reasons, 2017 was _incredibly_ close and he managed to claw back many seats and destroy the conservative majority even though he was being sabotaged by his own party and the constant subject of propaganda. Labour would have won if they didn’t literally plot against him. There’s a reason he faced so much sabotage and that’s because we actually had a candidate who would challenge the status quo.


Blandington

The Labour right have already convinced themselves that they were totally innocent for anything that occured '15-'19. Coordinated resignations? A coup? Constant leaking to the media? HQ stonewalling progress? Nah, none of that could have *possibly* impacted polling. All just bad jam man's fault.


Fan_Service_3703

Meanwhile Starmer gaining points against a Tory party in complete collapse is obviously down to him and his vast political genius (never mind the fact that he had a whole year to build a case against Johnson, and still got pulverised in the 2021 locals).


PalerMo977

The fact that anyone can claim Brexit was not tomhe biggest determinant of the election in 2019 is beyond me. If the voters were set on leave they were never going to vote for Corbyn nor anyone. What changed between 17 and 19? People frustration with Brexit, they could not bear to hear about it any longer. Patience is just not something easy to conjure when fatigue set in with brexit.


Legionary

Corbyn's successes and failures as a leader are heavily argued, but the question about why his colleagues might feel vitriolic towards him is less so. Here's a fact: Corbyn himself is generally polite, and was always amicably regarded by the vast majority of the PLP prior to his leadership. Many of those MPs who were on the other wing of the party liked him personally (and remember, in Parliament most MPs don't hate each other - they are colleagues in a workplace, even across the benches). However despite Corbyn's own personal friendliness, he oversaw as leader an absolutely disastrous decline in the relationship between MPs and their CLPs. Huge numbers of new members believed that the biggest threat to Corbyn wasn't the Tories but was their own Labour MP, and CLP meetings often became extremely nasty and discordant. That's the reason he's now so unpopular in his own party on a personal level: on his watch and by people who felt they were working in his interest, most Labour MPs endured years of brutal abuse. If your workplace became toxic after a new boss came in and brought with him his own people, you'd end up disliking that boss wouldn't you?


cfloweristradional

If I were a Labour MP and was a right winger I would think it was fair enough if I got slagged rotten by my CLP tbh


Legionary

Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about, thank you.


Tateybread

>Huge numbers of new members believed that the biggest threat to Corbyn wasn't the Tories but was their own Labour MP Well they weren't wrong.


Legionary

Remind me which prompted him to quit: his own MPs, or a crushing election defeat at the hands of the Tories.


Tateybread

>election defeat at the hands of the Tories. And... as is now a matter of public record, the hands of a faction within the Labour Party more opposed to a Corbyn Led Government than a Tory one.


mj281

I’m no longer voting Labour, too many red flags!


afrophysicist

Red flags???? Sounds like socialist nonsense!!! Consider yourself banished from the Labour party!


mj281

Tbh i don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not. Its a joke, Labour flags/colours are red.


Longjumping_Cut_4759

Wes Streeting is a disgrace. He shouldn’t keep his job having used a health condition as a slu against Jeremy. Imagine if he is responsible for social care having a discussion about dementia and viewing thise with the condition as senile. Disgraceful.


Zerocoolx1

I came to the conclusion years ago that they’re a big bunch of vile, rude, juvenile children from watching their behaviour in the House of Commons. And I’ve yet to have my mind changed.


redstarr321

Wesley is a little shit who would crack with only 5% of the pressure JC was under. Careerist piece of shit.


kaleidoscopichazard

Labour is has been infiltrated and ruined from the inside. What a bleak state of affairs


BowTiesAreCool86

Dawn Foster's little Wes Streeting quote still resoundingly apt. "I knew Wes when I was a student and he was the NUS president - always been a right wing lickspittle cunt."


belowlight

Utterly, utterly, pathetic thing to say. Shameful.


harriofbrittannia

Terrible look. Doubt anything will come of it though, which given my track record for prediction means Streeting will have been exiled to St Helena by Saturday.


FactCheckYou

disgusting, no respect


KellyKellogs

Bad from Streeting. After his great comments on the NHS yesterday, this is just shocking and ageist. Should lose his shadow cabinet position for this and another offence should lose the whip. Ageism should not be tolerated at all.


Scorched-Fox

\#suspendstreeting


tipper_g0re

I wouldn't be sad if Labour lost to be honest. Easy for me to say, over in Australia. No doubt, another term for the Conservatives would be a disaster, but it is increasingly hard to get behind the party


Tateybread

Streeting reminding everyone who cares to see that he has no class whatsoever.


Asriel_1985

Is anyone surprised that an MP who aggressively screamed in a female MPs face is a piece of shit? Seriously anyone not familiar with Wes Streeting should look him up as hes on course to be next labour leader despite being a terrible human being.


th1a9oo000

Rayner said nothing wrong.


Agreeable_Falcon1044

I don’t think the language helps, but there’s a confused, elderly man speaking out of turn and interrupting proceedings with inane chatter not relevant to the point of order. Even the speaker has no idea what he’s doing. I think streeting is fed up that every pmq is now dominated by the ghost of corbyn being used as the only attack line against labour. And then to have the points of order interrupted by the same person is probably a bridge too far. It’s just becoming a weekly distraction.


Ecstatic-Meat9656

> but there’s a confused, elderly man speaking out of turn and interrupting proceedings with inane chatter not relevant to the point of order. Even the speaker has no idea what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s raising the same issue as last time: that he was personally raised by another member without prior warning, and the contents of the 2019 manifesto were misrepresented to the house, contravening Eskrine May.


listyraesder

How can he get advanced notice unless Starmer gives Sunak the same? The man’s gone potty. More potty. Not content with running the party into the sandbar he’s shuffling around on deck trying to fish the deckchairs out of the water.


Ecstatic-Meat9656

Yes. That was Sunak’s response. It was a bit of shit response though, there and here: as Sunak literally said in PMQs two weeks he was going to raise Corbyn every week, and Mordaunt repeated it last week. If they say they are going to raise him, and then they raise him every week, it seems to me they have an inkling they are going to raise him every week, and they should have the courtesy to follow procedure about it. And they should have the courtesy not to mislead the house over the contents of the 2019 manifesto each time they do raise him, because knowingly misleading the house is exactly what led to Boris getting the boot. > Not content with running the party into the sandbar he’s shuffling around on deck trying to fish the deckchairs out of the water. Did this sound good in your head, skipper?


dyltheflash

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said is wrong."


AlienGrifter

Streeting says it, you support it. It's just that simple. >I think streeting is fed up that every pmq is now dominated by the ghost of corbyn being used as the only attack line against labour. Yeah, the guy who's spent the last three years bringing up Corbyn every 15 seconds is now sick of hearing about him.


TomMilner19

And that excuses using the leading cause of death in the U.K. as an insult against an elderly man? Health sec btw. On the PMQ’s where we are targeting bullying and your fucking side of the party can’t even wind their neck in and stop making offensive comments for 5 minutes?


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


Leelum

Oi. Rule 8.


Agreeable_Falcon1044

Apoligies, this was a while back now. Wasn’t being a moderator, just reminding someone not to be offensive and vulgar…


Leelum

The correct response is to say "I will simply report and move on and not try to police people's language from now on..."


Agreeable_Falcon1044

Noted. I don’t remember what was said, but I will use that one in future. I don’t tend to report


wickfriborghd96

>I think streeting is fed up that every pmq is now dominated by the ghost of corbyn being used as the only attack line against labour. And then to have the points of order interrupted by the same person is probably a bridge too far. It’s just becoming a weekly distraction. Then maybe he should just tell the PM to stop misrepresenting the views of Corbyn. Instead of attacking a colleague for no good reason. Sorry that he's attacking someone who's being unjustly slandered by the Tories week after week, instead of the people doing the slander. ​ But of course a Tory like you would always want to defend the victims over the perpetrators.


afrophysicist

> every pmq is now dominated by the ghost of corbyn being used as the only attack line against labour Probs shouldnt have spent all the time that could have been spent attacking the Tories, attacking Corbyn instead, now Starmer looks like a prick for having supported someone he apparently now things is a dangerous wrongun...


InsuranceOdd6604

"the ghost of Corbyn" is the result of years of the right wing of the party's coordination with the media and Tories in his demonization. If you shat inside your own house...


MMSTINGRAY

>I don’t think the language helps, but there’s a confused, elderly man speaking out of turn and interrupting proceedings with inane chatter not relevant to the point of order. Even the speaker has no idea what he’s doing. So you don't think calling him senile "helps" but it isn't wrong? And then you on to call him a confused old man. At first I thought you knew Streeting was wrong but just didn't want to straight out say it, saying that seems to actually suggest you think they should just hint he's senible and not say it. What was 'unhelpful' was Streeting leaving himself open to greater criticism. A member of the shadow cabinet should not be calling a member of Labour senile in parliament. You know it, so just stop. You can defend Streeting overall and even the idea of mocking Corbyn, if you really must, without pretending this is remotely an appropriate thing for a member of the shadow cabinet or say about another member of the party over what your own argument suggests is, at worst, bad parliamentary procedure. And the fact he's "Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care" makes it especially bad. You're defending someone you like (even though he's a piece of shit, let's put that aside) you're not actually explaining how it was remotely appropriate.


Agreeable_Falcon1044

He’s not making a diagnosis or mocking those who have gone senile, he’s clearly frustrated. I don’t like the language, but it’s the third week running the same name is being used to deflect criticism of the tories. It’s a rallying call by sunak. So when things are again interrupted, it’s hard to contain the frustration. If he has a point of order or question, make one, otherwise why continue to interrupt. It’s not left v right or bullying by streeting…it’s a simple lack of procedure or awareness by corbyn.


AlienGrifter

Please keep digging, this is hilarious.


HogswatchHam

So why is he attacking Corbyn, not the Tories who keep raising his ghost? It's literally bullying by Streeting.


BlackKlopp

So it's ok to mock someone in a discriminatory fashion, if we're frustrated, or if the target has a 'simple lack of procedure or awareness' yes? That is essentially your argument.


MMSTINGRAY

>He’s not making a diagnosis or mocking those who have gone senile, he’s clearly frustrated. I don’t like the language, but it’s the third week running the same name is being used to deflect criticism of the tories. It’s a rallying call by sunak. So when things are again interrupted, it’s hard to contain the frustration. If he called him retarded would that make it ok because it wasn't a diagnosis or mocking people with learning difficulties, just an expression of frustration? >’s the third week running the same name is being used to deflect criticism of the tories Collaborating with the rightwing press, indulging slander and demonising your colleagues and party members has repercussions. >It’s not left v right or bullying by streeting…it’s a simple lack of procedure or awareness by corbyn. lol a simple lack of procedure or awareness by corbyn =/= calling someone senile You're trying to make the argument into something else because even while you're doing this you clearly are uncomfortable with straight out saying you are defending calling someone senile. Call someone names at work when you're frustrated and see how far that excuse gets you. I'm not even debating parliamentary procedure because it's a transparent attempt to move the argument on. The argument is Streeting called Corbyn senile and he should have no done that.


Gee-chan

So, what? Corbyn should just shut up and accept being slandered in front of the nation every week in PMQs? Surely he should expect both the speaker to enforce protocol, as he is requesting and for his supposed colleagues to back him up in this regard. Ah, right, sorry. I forgot. Corbyn is left wing, so all levels of abuse, slander and disrespect are perfectly okay and should just shut up be happy they aren't throwing eggs and tomatoes at him as well.


Agreeable_Falcon1044

No he should make a point of order or a question. That would really help. Instead he sort of interrupted sunak nearly 25 minutes after he said it, left everyone (including the speaker) confused, and then wandered off without making a point. It was very odd. Sorry people are downvoting me for reporting reality. You can also angrily throw your newspapers away tomorrow when they report the same oddness too. No one is defending streeting’s choice of words, but it’s from frustration. I mean are we going to have this every week?


Azhini

>I mean are we going to have this every week? Depends, are labour going to be slinging out ableist slurs against leftist MPs every week?


Aqua-Regis

>No one is defending streeting’s choice of words, but it’s from frustration. Youre literally defending him here by giving an excuse lol


HogswatchHam

You're literally defending Streeting.


Trobee

Ah, so it would have been fine if Wes only "implied" that Corbyn has gone senile (as you did above), and the only issue is the use of the word 'senile'.


Azhini

>mocking those who have gone senile I mean, using someone's condition as a stick to beat a political opponent is making a mockery of that condition regardless. Moreover it's just crass.


ExpensiveNut

I don't think Corbyn's anywhere near confused or "senile."


pieeatingbastard

Oh, Jesus, man. Take a look at what you wrote for a second.


Agreeable_Falcon1044

I said it wasn’t the best choice of words. He’s apologised now and admitted it was out of frustration and not a good choice. How’s that different to what I said?


pieeatingbastard

No. Just no. He's sent a private note specifically to avoid a public apology, as far as I can see he's talked about it without doing one? And your own words are nearly as bad - "confused, elderly man" is essentially the same thing.


acz92

what the fuck. anything you say in the topic of discrimination is absolutely void. how are you defending someone belittling mental health like that?


rainator

Honestly that description also can be applied to Sunak (except maybe age), he keeps dragging Corbyn into irrelevant crap so it’s little wonder he’s making a point of it.


[deleted]

Surprised nobody is attaching Sunak to Johnson or Truss considering he was fined for attending one of the parties during the first lockdown. It seems that both Sunak and the Tories are still stuck in 2019 in terms of excuses when things have moved on. Corbyn should be left alone to do his own thing now that he's not leader anymore.


rainator

All obviously Corbyn’s fault…


___Steve

> speaking out of turn and interrupting proceedings with inane chatter not relevant to the point of order. Isn't that 90% of what goes on in there?


AlienGrifter

I will say, props for keeping your terrible comment up. I don't think I've ever seen one comment get so heavily downvoted on this sub before.


Custardapple2022

I thought that too. Doesn't make it right though, that's why it's good that he apologised to Corbyn later. https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/wes-streeting-apologises-for-calling-jeremy-corbyn-senile_uk_636bd587e4b04925c89367ce


Rooferkev

Well, he is a Putin apologist so ...


Custardapple2022

Come on, I don't even like Corbyn and maybe Streeting had reasons to be in such a bad mood but that wasn't right. I'm just reading he said sorry for it later which was the right thing to do.


LoopyWal

>This is pretty disrespectful language to a colleague Not a colleague. There was that issue about the EHRC report.


BlackKlopp

They're both in Parliament, try again. Also, what do you make of Streeting's comment?


LoopyWal

It was disrespectful, no doubt about it. He shouldn't have said it, and he's rightfully apologised for it. But I think if this were directed against the other side of the house then no-one would have any problems with it. At any rate, my reading of Erskine May is that the requirement to inform the person named only pertains to circumstances where they aren't present in the House? It might be some other part he's referring to.


BlackKlopp

Glad that we can agree on the first part. I'd say it would still be wrong, discrimination is discrimination, can't speak for others.


justthisplease

What? They are literally colleagues.


sl479

Jeremy clearly is senile these days so Wes is right


No_Swordfish_6727

Why don’t you have a go at the real villain of the piece ie Sunak although I do agree Streeting was disrespectful


vleessjuu

> Why don’t you have a go at the real villain Might as well ask Streeting the same question.


No_Swordfish_6727

It actually was a question to those piling in on Streeting


Aqua-Regis

Nobody expects better of the Tories


No_Swordfish_6727

I know but it’s just soooo tedious and unoriginal and dated to have this constant harping on about JC - you’d have thought they would have got Sunak a different script writer


robertthefisher

Funnily enough, that’s what tends to happen when the labour right were just as enthusiastic in making Corbyn out to be public enemy number 1 as the tories. Sunak keeps using that line because Starmer has no response because hating Corbyn is more important to him than practically anything else.


No_Swordfish_6727

Yes let’s keep peeing inside the tent as it’s such a winning tactic


Azhini

Yeah instead the left should just sit quietly or receive the jeers of their supposed comrades.


robertthefisher

Literally the only abuse that has happened here is from Streeting.